Sunday, August 27, 2006

kentucky aircraft crash

A Delta connection flight Comair 5191, a CRJ-200, crashed at Blue Grass Airport, Lexington, Kentucky on its way to Atlanta today. I'm watching the Fox News coverage now. One survivor so far, possibly the first officer, and they are reporting there was fire involved. Apparently, the aircraft crashed at the end of runway 8-26, the shorter of the two runways at Blue Grass. Officials are not saying that was the takeoff runway. There are no indications that terrorism was involved. I will be updating.

Initial story via Forbes.

Fox News story here.

UPDATE: First Officer James Polehinke is in critical condition at the University of Kentucky hospital. I does not appear that weather was a factor. The majority of deaths are fire related.

The airport diagram of Blue Grass airport here. Runway 8-26 is only 3500 feet long. CRJ-200's need 5,800 to 6,200 feet to takeoff, specs here.

2 Comments:

At 2:20 PM, Blogger The Snob said...

Ugh. My first reaction looking at that plate was that it reminded me of this one:

http://www.myairplane.com/databases/approach/pdfs/00909I7.PDF

Every time I've been to that field, I get confused by the signage--twice I've started to line up for 25, when I was supposed to go to 32. The second time was despite remembering I had goofed the first time and to be more careful. If you look, the layout is not dissimilar to the one at LEX.

I wonder what time the crew went to sleep the night before- early flight, fatigued, I don't have a hard time seeing a similar mistake.

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger The Snob said...

Meh. Try this link:

http://tinyurl.com/mh4yv

 

Post a Comment

<< Home