Thursday, October 05, 2006

here here mr. medved

Being a conservative Christian is a tough life these days. The media makes it seem as though we are pushing this country toward some crazy theocracy. But do we want to force everyone under our rules? Call me a crazy Christian, but I don't see our government outlawing abortions, allowing prayer in school, or teaching creationism, no matter which party gains control of the legislature, anytime soon. So much for theocracy. Michael Medved's Townhall article yesterday covers this subject much more eloquently that I ever could.
Why, then, the blatant loathing of Christian believers in so many books and columns and manifestos from non-believers on the left? None of the volumes decrying Christian influence suggest that religious families engage in violence more frequently than atheists, or unravel the fabric of society through criminality, selfishness or greed. When I’ve interviewed the authors on my radio show, they freely admit that they’d be pleased to live next door to an Evangelical, or even a Fundamentalist household, because such people are likely to be law-abiding, hard-working, neighborly, stable and considerate. This contradiction demonstrates the irrational essence of the hatred and fear of a group of citizens who do more than their share at feeing the hungry, housing the homeless, keeping families together, educating their children, serving in the military, giving to charity, maintaining their homes, nursing the sick, promoting adoption and building vibrant communities. What, exactly, do conservative Christians do that in any way harms or damages their non-Christian neighbors?
In answering that question, critics of the “Religious Right” always come back to issues of political influence and their groundless fears of some future, Orwellian, dictatorial, theocracy. These alarmists consistently ignore the actual agenda of even the most ambitious Christian conservatives who express no desire to install a new, religiously inflexible form of government, but merely wish to return to the more hospitable attitude to public expressions of faith that flourished in this nation until the 1960’s.
Read the whole thing. As for me, I'm going to follow Christ in the same way no matter how I am criticized or threatened. If you want to talk about it, I would be happy to, but for those of you who are not interested, not to worry. You will get no forceable conversions from me, or hear me try to change our government into a theocracy. Christ wants you to accept Him, and He did tell us "Render unto Ceasar what is Ceasar's." That's more than just good advice.

2 Comments:

At 12:55 PM, Blogger John said...

Wow, was it sweet to stumble onto your blog via milblogging.com! Christ-follower, pilot, Air Force...very cool.

Anyhoo, I am PS USAFR (enlisted variety; aeromedical) and a private pilot (eyes OK for FAA, not USAF :)). Most importantly, I am a fellow believer - I accepted Christ on August 13, 2000.

Re: one of your posts, I live in Lexington, KY. The day of the Comair crash was one of the hardest for me. Along with being a pilot, I am a former airline FA and instructor. I have flown into/out of LEX hundreds of times. I found out about the crash while getting ready for our worship experiences (www.questcommunity.com) I get to serve as a producer for Sunday mornings. I could barely get the words out trying to update my fiance. Horrible, horrible day. Enough of that.

Thanks for the blog! Feel free to shoot an e-mail to irishwings00@yahoo.com.

John

 
At 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since Jesus comanded not to kill, how can you be a christian. No where did jesus allow killing in any form. As a Christian you should adhere to the new testament the testament of Jesus. The old testament does allow just war, but Jesus never does.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home