Sunday, January 28, 2007

i should be asleep

I have a fitness test and a full day of work ahead of me tomorrow, but I can't go to sleep yet. I just watch The Last Kiss with Zach Braff, among others. The crew of the Relevant Podcast warned it was shallow and whiny, but I loved Garden State so much, I had to give it a chance. I am sad to say they were not wrong. And the movie made me angry. Angry at how petty our lives have become, that we can throw love away, or not fight for it, or take advantage of it. The characters whining annoys me, that their lives, with significant others, good jobs, and children is so horrible. I think the thing that made me the most angry though was that I feel like that is what I am becoming. I complain about being single or that my job was not my first choice. I am a pilot for goodness sake, how much do I need? Ok, so its not a Viper, but I still get to be up there in the wild blue and pull Gs on a daily basis. There are dudes that I know on the other side of the world that worry about getting shot at on a daily basis and I am depressed over a few Saturday nights in front of the tv instead of a date over dinner. It almost makes me sick. I apologize to you soldier, airmen, and hope that someday soon you can have trivial worries once again.

4 Comments:

At 9:38 PM, Blogger Greybeard said...

Yeah, shake it off, gal!
We all do it... it's a function of ambition and motivation-
"Things can be better."

I entertain myself by thinking-
how many folks on the face of the earth would absolutely LOVE to be doin' what I'm doin'?
The answer, in your case and mine, is LOTS!

Don't quit trying to do better, but don't beat yourself up, either.
You have a right to be proud of yourself.

 
At 4:11 AM, Blogger Rita Loca said...

Great insight from Grey Beard! We as women have to deal with those hormone things... sometimes we get down on everything for NO reason. LOL BUT, keeping things in perspective sure helps. We have flown around the jungles of Venexuela for the last 10 years, in a little cessna 206 and I watch the ex military, now bush pilots all pretend they are TOP GUN in it. Quite a stretch of the imagination but...you take what you can..

 
At 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heavy sigh.

I just realized it's been 20 years this week since my last flight in Hoovers.

Damn, I feel old.

Sorry about the date thing, but I think my wife of 31 and a half years would probably object...

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Dr. Gregory Roberts said...

Like many things, trivial worries are good in moderation. They are a sign that our lives are free from dispair that plagues a great deal of humanity. The trick is to not forget how much worse things could be...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home