Friday, April 20, 2007

one year older...

UPDATE: My mom posts embarrassing photos. Someone has to make me humble...

...One year wiser? Sure. I hit the quarter century today. I'm not where I thought I would be a year or two ago, but I'm definatly in the full swing of life actually having a "real job," if you call flying a job. My birthday also corresponded with the Glenn and Helen Podcast addressing teens and twenty-somethings being treated like like children, and I can relate. Being the only single woman (I almost wrote "girl" myself) in my flying squadron, I can see it happen every once in a while, and today it was most prominent when I was asked if I turned 19. While pilots never really grow up, it gets old sometimes being treated in such a manner when you have proven your dependability and maturity many times over. I can also understand when the men I work with see me as their sister/daughter, and becuase there are so few women in aviation, it could be hard to mentally separate the roles in professional situations. I know I'm to the point of birthday's being a bad thing rather than something to look forward to, and I should be taking it as a compliment when people think I'm younger than I am, but at work it just does not seem appropriate when taken too far. If someone gave me a hard time in front of a student, we would have words.

On a lighter note, I decided to name my car The Red Baron. Kudos to my mom's friend Dale for the suggestion. Now I just need the leather skull cap, goggles, and a white scarf to round out the look. Previous post.

11 Comments:

At 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sah-weet ride!

 
At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday from Rod and Julie in California!!! Hope it is a wonderful day!

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Randy K said...

Happy birthday... came over from Lex's place. Today is my Daughter's birthday as well. Hope your weekend is as good as I plan to make her's.

 
At 9:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Natal Anniversary Remembrance Day!

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Birthday chic[k]pilot. For what it's worth, you don't look like you've aged so much as a day since I met you[r blog].

God bless you and thank you for your service to our country.

 
At 7:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally delurking to wish you a very happy birthday! I hope it was great. You've done more by age 25 than most of us will do in a lifetime.

Felicia, former AF brat and future AF mom

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger chic[k]pilot said...

Thanks for all the kind wishes everyone!

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger David M said...

Happy Birthday!

 
At 6:32 AM, Blogger Juryizstillout said...

Happy Birthday!


(I know you from your Mama's blog!)

Great car! Maybe I should've been a pilot!

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Beth said...

HEY! I have MORE embarrassing pictures if you would RATHER!!!!

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Great car and happy belated birthday from a reader of mum's blog who thinks what you do is awe-inspiring~"you go gi....woman!!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home