As requested, here is a post about one of my favorite things.... beer! For me it has been an acquired taste, but now I am the current expert resident of the Chick Pilot house (we also have a wine and cooking expert, all the necessities). I cannot say that I discriminate when it comes to the actual drinking, but when given a choice, I do like variety.
You can find a good history of beer here, but I'll include the highlights:
-The Sumarians discovered fermenting by chance (I think there was some divine inspiration)
-In the Gilgamesh Epic, some dude named Enkido drank seven cups of beer and went from being primitive to being cultured. Too bad today the opposite happens.
- The Babylonians brewed 20 kinds of beer, and made women do the brewing
- The Romans thought beer was barbarian after they discovered wine
- Monks drank the pleasant tasting, highly nutritious beverage when they fasted.
- When the brewing went wrong during the Middle Ages, brewers were accused of being "beer witches" (burn her!)
- The Germans enacted a Beer Purity Law in 1516, the oldest valid food law in the world
- When the first German railway line was opened in 1835, its first cargo was beer
Now for the most part, I'm a big wheat beer fan. Any kind of hefeweizen or maybe a Blue Moon with an orange in it is quite tasty. Lately however, I am drinking more ales. They have more complex tastes, and there are more to be had. I previously blogged about my current favorite beer, Rogue Dead Guy Ale. Rogue makes a nice honey brown also that has a surprising vanilla aftertaste. I have been drinking a lot of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat also, and it takes like blueberries.
For general drinking with the boys in the O club on a Friday night, we usually end up drinking your standard Miller Lite or Bud Light. I know they are not fancy, but they do put out some good commercials. Sometimes we'll go crazy and have some Shiner Bock, another good beer that goes down easy.
Please share your own favorite beers. Like I said, I enjoy variety, so I'm always looking for something new to try. Happy drinking!